Today glioblastoma is one of the most dangerous brain tumors. This is explained by the fact that this tumor often grows into the healthy tissue, which not only makes it difficult to delete, but also leads to irreversible changes in the brain. That is why it makes sense to choose the treatment of glioblastoma in Israel.
Glioblastoma is produced from a special kind of glial cells - astrocytes. Currently, scientists can`t explain the transformation of normal cells into malignant astrocytes, but it is known that there are several risk groups, membership of which represents an increased risk of developing glioblastoma:
- People over fifty years;
- People with genetic disorders;
- The presence of astrocytoma with a low degree of malignancy, which may progress over time;
- Europeans, Latin Americans, Asians;
- People who have been subjected to intense radiation (e.g. during radiotherapy sessions).
The main symptoms of this disease include:
- Changes in behavior;
- Nausea and vomiting;
- Violations of the higher functions, namely, motor skills, vision, speech, sensitivity;
Despite the fact that these symptoms may appear in different diseases of the central nervous system and psyche, when they appear the patient should pass examination of the brain.
Diagnosis of glioblastoma in Israel
A diagnostic program for the treatment of glioblastoma in Israel includes:
- Magnetic resonance imaging;
- Computer tomography;
- Lumbar puncture;
- Positron emission computer tomography;
Because glioblastoma can cause serious complications diagnosis is carried out in the shortest possible time and at the most efficient equipment.
Glioblastoma treatment in Israel
The therapeutic program is assigned, taking into account many factors, including tumor stage of development, the degree of damage to healthy tissue, the patient's condition, etc. Currently, the most effective method of treatment is considered to be an integrated approach, which includes:
- Surgery - endoscopic surgery to remove the tumor. Through the use of modern systems and data from neuronavigation MRI surgeon can completely remove the tumor. Besides modern equipment allows to remove the tumor without damaging the cognitive function of the patient;
- Radiotherapy destroys the remaining cancer cells after surgery to increase the effectiveness of surgical intervention. In some cases, specialists use such radiosurgery instruments as "Gamma Knife", "Cyber-Knife";
- Chemotherapy - receiving anticancer drugs;
- Palliative care - the suppression of symptoms, extension and improvement of life of the patient using anticonvulsants, painkillers and decongestants.
Also can be used such techniques as an immunotherapy, anti-angiogenesis, molecular therapy, gene therapy.
After the main course of therapy, the patient is sent to a rehabilitation course, which is designed to restore the patient's body and eliminate the side effects of the disease.
Glioblastoma treatment with neuronavigation
Separately, it should be said about the method of neuronavigation, which is used in the surgical treatment of glioblastoma in Israel when tumors are difficult to remove. Neuronavigation makes possible to considerably reduce the likelihood of damage to healthy tissue during the surgery, which reduces restoration time.
Electromagnetic treatment of glioblastoma in Israel
Another innovation in Israel which is used in the treatment of a glioblastoma tumor is using the alternating electric field of low intensity. Electromagnetic treatment of glioblastoma is carried out by means of the device NovoTTF-100A.
This device has four sets of electrodes that are placed on the patient's shaved head and connected to a special device, weighing about six kilograms. The patient must constantly carry around the device NovoTTF-100A, running on AC power or batteries. This treatment allows you to return the patient to lead a normal life.
In the event if a few years after treatment there is recurrence of the tumor, are appointed Avastin and Irinotecan. Also, radiation therapy may be used to eliminate relapse.